05 January 2011

New Year, New Logo - Starbucks


Starbucks has announced a new logo for its 40th Anniversary. The new logo has some dramatic changes from the current logo that has been in use since 1992. This logo change comes on top of the recent change by another Starbucks company, Seattle's Best.

The most noticeable change is the removing of the name, Starbucks. The iconic siren has also been enlarged to fill the space that the name composed making the new mark more dynamic. I tend to like the new mark based on the image I see on the cup. I feel the mark is fresh yet still holding to the brands traditions. I look forward to seeing how they continue this mark across the entire brand and products.

I am not sure the Starbucks siren is know enough to take away the name completely and I tend to think this "solo" sans name mark will be used in a limited fashion. But with Starbucks having over 160,000 store fronts if they decide to continue sans name somehow I think they can pull it off.

From the Applied Arts website comes this-
According to chief executive officer Howard Schultz, the revised logo reflects the company’s growing emphasis on selling Starbucks-brand products in grocery stores and other channels in addition to its retail stores, as well as its further expansion into offering more non-coffee drinks. “Starbucks will continue to offer the highest-quality coffee, but we will offer other products as well – and while the integrity, quality and consistency of these products must remain true to who we are, our new brand identity will give us the freedom and flexibility to explore innovations and new channels of distribution that will keep us in step with our current customers and build strong connections with new customers,” says Schultz.
So let me know your thoughts on the new Starbucks logo and if you see it popping up in stores. Time for me to get back to my venti mocha.

(via Applied Arts)

No comments: