20 November 2008

Getty Center Museum Visit






Yesterday I had the joy of visiting the Getty Center Museum in LA. One of my past students, Clyde is working there in the exhibits design department and offered to give a tour to my Environmental Graphic Design class. The class had a chance to see and explore the design that goes into each of the exhibits that the Getty puts together. We looked at the many ways to set up the exhibits and saw the long process that goes into making the exhibits at the Getty some of the best around. My fullest thanks go out to Clyde for showing us around and explaining in detail all the hard work that goes into getting the show ready for the public.

If you are in the area, make sure you check out the "Dialogue Among Giants - Carleton Watkins" exhibit that is currently showing. This exhibit explores the wonderful photographs of Carleton Watkins between 1850 and 1906. It is a great collection of images from Yosemite, San Francisco, and around other parts of California.

I completed the visit by seeing my some of my old friends Rembrandt, Monet, and van Gogh. The Getty collection is full, diverse and breathtaking.

3 comments:

Prêt à Voyager said...

I took an art history class in college about Roman Art and Architecture. As I approached the Getty I felt like I was walking up to a modern day Hadrian's Villa. Really an amazing space and what a cool opportunity to tour it with someone working there in that capacity.

Anne

Daniel Gross said...

Anne-
The Getty is an amazing space. Every time I visit I seem to find something new and as a photographic subject, Richard Meier did a wonderful job on the architecture. The building and grounds alone make the visit worth it. Throw in the great works of art and you have an art and design heaven.

Anonymous said...

That must of been a cool field trip. I still want to go to the Villa in malibu.